Six Ways to Make People Like You
- Become genuinely interested in other people.
- Smile. Free but worth a lot.
- Remember that a man’s name is to him the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
- Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
- Talk about what OTHERS are interested in.
- Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely.
Twelve Ways of Winning People to Your Way of Thinking
- The only way to get the best of an argument is to avoid it.
- Show respect for the other man’s opinions. Never tell a man he is wrong.
- If you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically.
- Begin in a friendly way.
- Get the other person saying “yes, yes” immediately.
- Let the other man do a great deal of the talking.
- Let the other man feel that the idea is his.
- Try honestly to see things from the other person’s point of view.
- Be sympathetic with the other person’s ideas and desires.
- Appeal to the nobler motives.
- Dramatize your ideas.
- Throw down a challenge.
Nine Ways to Change People Without Giving Offense or Arousing Resentment
- Begin with praise and honest appreciation.
- Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly.
- Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person.
- Ask questions instead of giving direct orders.
- Let the other man save his face.
- Praise the slightest improvement and praise every improvement. Be “hearty in your approbation and lavish in your praise.”
- Give the other person a fine reputation to live up to.
- Use encouragement. Make the fault seem easy to correct.
- Make the other person happy about doing the thing you suggest.
Seven Rules for Making Your Home Life Happier
- Don’t nag.
- Don’t try to make your partner over.
- Don’t criticize.
- Give honest appreciation.
- Pay little attentions.
- Be courteous.
- Read a good book on the sexual side of marriage.