Last year, I wrote a rather lengthy post which I just re-read, and although I appreciate it very much because it brought alive some old memories with its prose, I will refrain from duplicating the effort by doing the same this year. Instead, I want to take a few minutes to reflect upon some of the lessons 2010 offered me that I would like to remember throughout the year:
- Treasure friendships. It is friends that give us the strength to continue moving forward when things get difficult.
- If it matters to you, give it your best. No one will ever care for what you ‘could have’ done or achieved, but rather for what you actually did. Make sure you have no regrets.
- When it is time, simply let go. Sometimes we focus on not failing or try to hold on to someone/something and don’t realize that it’s hurting us more than it’s worth.
- Learn from others, but don’t blindly believe everything they say. There are many wise people out there who can give you well-intended advice, but it’s not necessarily the best advice. They can only see the world through their own eyes. Learn from their perspective, but don’t get lost in someone else’s world.
- Follow your own advice. We often have great advice for our friends but are unable to follow our own advice when we need it the most. Be honest with yourself.
- Keep a healthy body and mind. Your body is the instrument you have to make a difference in this world, make sure it is in good shape to allow you to achieve your dreams. Meditate, eat well and exercise.
- Be optimistic and keep happiness simple. It’s the only sustainable way to work and achieve your goals while continue to be happy and healthy.
- Be grateful for what you have. It will allow you to focus on the right things in life.
- Keep your goals in mind. Luck really is when opportunity meets preparation. Make sure you are ready, or working towards being ready, for when the opportunity arises.
- Take a real interest in others. You will become a better person, and make the world a better place, if you genuinely care for others.
There have been many other lessons and great things I have come across this year, and I would like to finish off by sharing some quotes that I would want to read again in the near future.
“Don’t take yourself too seriously, no one else does”
– Regina Brett
“Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t – you’re right.”
– Henry Ford
(Good fortune and happiness will come to the home of those who smile.)
– Japanese Proverb
“How people treat you is their karma, how you react is yours.”
– Wayne Dyer
“It is the simple things done over long periods of time that will give permanent and constant results.”
– T. Harv Eker
“Find what you’re going to be famous for. That’s not to say you should ignore your weaknesses. But make sure your strengths are aligned with what you want to be famous for – what your legacy will be.”
And, just to keep it real: “When you are complaining, you become a living, breathing “crap magnet.””
– T. Harv Eker
I hope this is a good summary of things I want to keep in mind in 2011. I have many goals, but mostly I want to make sure I am on my path to do greater things each day. The specific ways in which I will achieve this remain unknown, but I will let life surprise me with opportunities. I will work on getting myself ready for when the opportunity arises.