My name is Omar Eduardo Fernández, welcome to my blog. Since 2017, I’ve worked as a Product Manager at Google, despite not studying computer science nor having a business degree.
Since very young, I’ve been fascinated by technology. Born and raised in Puerto Rico, my parents cared about education but couldn’t afford private school. Thus, I attended public school up until college. Fortunately, for high school, I enrolled in a public boarding school specialized in math and science, CROEM. In 2006, against all the odds, I gained admission to MIT with full financial aid.
After studying chemical engineering at MIT, I spent three years in consulting, a year in customer success at a startup, and since 2014 started working as a product manager. I love the challenge of product management both at a startup and at Google.
I write to clarify my thinking about topics of interest. I share my writing, hoping you’ll find it useful. If you do, subscribe to this blog’s mailing list, so that you can read new content directly from your email.
- From consulting, customer success into Product Management
- How I transitioned job functions
- Google PM Interview – full interview process overview
- Google PM interview – how to prepare
- [Quora Answer] How stressful is it to be a product manager at a tech company? (my most popular writing to date)
- [Quora Answer] As a product manager, how do you make your team respect the deadlines?
- How to write a Product Requirements Document (PRD)
- Learning resources for new product managers
- Becoming a Product Manager without a Computer Science degree
- Dealing with ambiguity and work-related stress
- Startups won’t build your career on your behalf – you must
- Why quit consulting to join a startup
Other popular articles
- How to control your emotions: observe, don’t react to, your thoughts
- How to control anger – use your brain to cool down
- Japanese Customer Service (still popular after 8+ years…)
- Apologize & thank profusely – a lesson I’ve learned in Japan
Last Updated on August 22, 2020 by Omar Eduardo